On Monday a week ago, Hermana Newman and I went to Five Below, which is kind of like a dollar store but for five dollars instead of just one. It was great. From 6:00pm to 7:00pm was spent trying to find somebody to talk to. We did end up talking to one of our less active recent converts. (There are, unfortunately, a lot of them in this branch.) She had just turned 12 and so we invited her to Mutual the next day. (In Maryland, Mutual is on Tuesday instead of Wednesday. Weird, huh?)
Tuesday we went to Mutual expecting to meet the less active girl and two other investigators there. They all bailed on us. Ahhh... teenagers. Oh wait, that's still me! :) We went over to another less active member's house that night and ended up helping her niece and nephew learn English. They have been learning for about the same time I have been learning Spanish and they are sooooo good. Wow. They have been learning it on the fly in school because they just moved here from wherever they are from and their parents don't speak English either. We just thought we could help them and they would help us. It feels good to be told you are doing a good job. So that's what we told them. And it's true anyway.
Wednesday we met with loads of people. We also had one of our investigators tell us that she wasn't interested right then, but that she will call us when she is. Things were just too busy for her just then. We have been having the hardest time finding people who have jobs (and therefore have cars and phones and all of that jazz -- i.e., have the ability to actually progress) and still have time to meet with us. I think it's great that all of these people are soooo hard working. I also think that some things are more important than work and money. Things like family and fun. If all you do is work to support your family and never have time to talk with them, soon you won't have a family.
Enough Hermana Crotzer rants about people and time...
On Thursday, a lot happened. But I'm going to skip it so I have time to write about other things. :)
On Friday we finally got hold of one of our investigators. We thought that she had been ignoring us or that something awful had happened. Turns out she was just really sick and couldn't meet with us. Which is sad that she was sick. But she still wants to talk to us and learn from us. Also, her boyfriend is being deported. Which is sad for her. But now she can be baptized. That is an upside.
Saturday morning we were out exercising and we were chased down by this guy on a bike. It was soooo freaky. We were cooling down from our run, i.e. we were walking, and we heard this really, really creepy voice say, "Good morning S-----" (We aren't sure of the last word.) So we looked around and it was this guy on a bike. But he had turned the corner and so we thought we were fine. A few minutes later, Hermana Newman turns around and says, "Hermana, he's following us." So we walk faster. And faster. And then we run. We didn't want him to know where we lived, so we ran into a random apartment complex. I don't know how, but we picked the ONLY apartment complex with a little nook to hide in. Thank you, God. Soooo much.
Later on Saturday we went to an investigator's baby shower.
I didn't think it would be such a big deal but it was HUGE. And at first Hermana Newman and I thought it was in a Baptist church. Yup, Mormon missionaries in a Baptist church for a baby shower. Why not? We also went to a birthday party and ate a gazillion papusas and got a bunch of referrals. Missionary work is great.
Sunday, I got to eat my first organ. Chicken hearts. Yummy. At first, I wasn't going to have to eat it. I had one in my soup and so I just flipped it out of my bowl, into my napkin, and then whisked it into my pocket while nobody was looking. But then halfway thorough dinner, Hermana Newman plopped one into my bowl and said, loudly, "Hermana Crotzer, you need to try one of these." The member heard her and said that, yes I did need to eat it and that I would find these in Argentina. Ohhh... Hermana Newman was going down after dinner. Here is a picture of the one that I hid in my pocket.
The one in the picture is a nice one. You can't see all of the little valves and stuff. The one I had to eat, I could count the chambers and name all the parts. Bleh.
Oh, and the tacos we ate with this chicken heart soup: Those weren't just any tacos. Those were tongue tacos. MMMMM...
Yesterday I got to go to Baltimore. Whooooo!
We went to the National Aquarium with the Ellicott City sisters, Sister Jeffery and Sister Johnson.
It was awesome.
Earlier this week, it rained for two days straight. As in, 48 hours of rain.
And...
That's all I've got.
Hermana Crotzer
p.s. A random fun fact:
I got permission to change my last name so that people can actually say it. I dropped the "t" so now it's Crozer. Cr-oh-ser. Hopefully. There is a possibility that my name will still be impossible to say and I just wasted four dollars on a new name tag. If that is the case, I will continue to go by "Hermana". Just thought I would tell all of you because it is fun. Not really important. Just fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment