Monday, April 14, 2014

A Family of Gold

To explain this first picture:  That's my birthday lunch.


We made tacos.  My companion made the filling and I made the tortillas.  I'm pretty impressed with myself.  Argentina doesn't sell tortilla mix.  They have all sorts of other types of flour but nothing to make tortillas.  So I figured I could probably figure out how to make an imitation of what we call flour tortillas.  Yup.  All you need, as far as I'm aware, is flour and water.  Ohhh...  They were soooo tasty.

That same night, part of the ward -- the Sanchez family and Manolo -- decided to have a party for me and Hna Sanchez.  (Her birthday was yesterday.)  Manolo bought a cake and Hno Sanchez brought the empanadas and soda pops.  I, unfortunately, don't have any pictures but Hno Sanchez tried to send some to Dad through Facebook.

This next picture is a funky heart-shaped potato that we bought at the store.  I love french fries.  They are also pretty easy and quick to cook.


The third picture is me at the beach.  And naturally, in the only picture of me on my camera, I have my eyes closed.  But in the million and one pictures that my companion took of herself (her camera broke so she decided to use mine so that she could still send pictures to her boyfriend), she looks just fine.  Whatever.  I'm sure we will go back to the beach eventually and I can get a good picture.  And if not, Photoshop works miracles.

 

I learned something interesting this week.  I learned that I am really bad at recognizing and following the promptings of the Spirit.  People say that sometimes it's hard to tell if it's the Spirit talking or it's our own brain.  Twice this week I had "a feeling" that I just shrugged off as my own and later found out that it was the Spirit trying to prod me in the right direction.  How much time could I have saved if I had listened?  How much pain could my companion have avoided if we had listened?  I think that sometimes we have  "feelings" that we just shrug off as our own or thoughts that we think are just plain crazy that are really impressions from the Spirit.  And we should follow them.  If this thought or feeling doesn't hurt anyone, why not try it out and see what happens?  Who knows, it could be our imagination or it could be the Spirit whispering to us, trying to guide us.  Preach My Gospel isn't wrong when it says that the Spirit doesn't talk to us by shouting at us or shaking us.  We have to be listening and ready to act on any little whisper that could be the Spirit.  And I think that, more often than not, we will find that the feelings and thoughts that we have are the Spirit guiding us.  And that's my super spiritual thought for the week.

This last picture is of our beach buddy.  I have no idea where he came from, he's probably just another stray, but he met up with us as we were going to the beach and he hung out with us until we left the beach.  Isn't he cute?


We met a family of gold the other day and we had our first lesson with them some two or three days ago.  They are perfect.  The father is a less-active member who isn't on any of our lists.  Every time he passes by the church, he tells his daughters that that was where he went to church as a boy.  When we had our lesson, they turned off the TV without us ever asking them to.  And the 14-year-old boy told his father at the end of the lesson that he liked what he had heard.  If you all could pray for them, I would be ever so grateful.  I don't know if I could ever describe how much I want to see them get baptized.  It's not everyday that we find a family that is so ready to hear and accept the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.  Especially not in La Costa.

And...  That's all for this week.
Hermana Crotzer

No comments: