Monday, January 13, 2014

Finding Investigators

Ummmm...  My brain is mush and I can't really remember what happened this week, it's all one big blur.

One of our investigators is named Miguel.  He surprised us last week by coming to church but he couldn't come this week because of his girlfriend.  (He's as old as or older than my parents...)  We think that one of the things that might be holding him back from progressing is his girlfriend.  They go to the same church, Pentecostal, and he says that he has 'commitments' inside his church.  But we are going to get the men in the church involved so that they can help.  Hermana Montiel and I can only help so much, we are two young women and Miguel is a grown man with kids older than us.

One thing that never stops to amaze me in this area, Luis Guillon, is that there are always members that want to go out with us.  Maybe it's because it's summer for them right now, but I think it might be a cultural thing too.  The mission president said that he isn't really sure what the people here do because they always seem to be outside drinking mate or sleeping.  (Yes, people here do work, just not as much as the people in the States.)

We found a new investigator named Isabell (I don't know if they spell it with one 'l' or with two...)  Her daughter died three years ago but to her it still seems like yesterday.

One really irritating thing about Luis Guillon is that the house numbers and the street names are always changing.  Our member list is also ancient and so most of the addresses are wrong.  When we do find a member, it's like Christmas, all the birthdays in the world, Easter and Halloween put together with angels singing hymns.

I have decided that I don't really like meat that much.  When I come back home, I will be just fine with eating salad, fruits, and vegetables.  I don't know why, it just feels like we eat meat aaaall the time here.  (We don't because we don't really eat any other meal than lunch.)  We do eat some type of meat in every lunch appointment that we have.

We had a zone activity for P-day today.  We ate tacos and played soccer.  We tried to play volleyball for a few minutes but it didn't last long because nobody knows how to play and they all loooove soccer.  So I played a little bit of soccer.  It was quite funny since I don't really know what is going on and everybody else is like a pro.  Hermana Montiel played for a team in her 'state' before her mission.  And there was another Hermana from Brazil that played semi-pro on a team too.  And all I can do is kick the ball in whatever direction it ends up going when someone kicks it in my direction.  ...but it was fun.  And I did manage to steal the ball from the Elders a few times because they are scared to come near us.  :)

A remis [taxi driver] got mad at me because he thought that I slammed his car door.  I don't think that I did but Hermana Montiel told me that what I did was like in the movies were the husband and wife are fighting and the husband walks off and slams the door behind him so that the whole house shakes.  And all I did was firmly but gently close the stupid car door...  Hermana Montiel also told me that Argentinos are very very exaggerated people and that he wasn't really mad because he knew that there was a difference in culture (i.e., we close our doors a little more firmly) and that I'm a dumb norteamericana.  :)

I have a picture for you all but it will have to wait till next week because I forgot my camera today.  Should be fun.

No comments: